- In each individual the spirit is made flesh, in each one the whole of creation suffers, in each one a Savior is crucified.
- Love isn’t there to make us happy. I believe it exists to show us how much we can endure.
- When someone is seeking … it happens quite easily that he only sees the thing that he is seeking; that he is unable to find anything, unable to absorb anything … because he is obsessed with his goal. Seeking means: to have a goal; but finding means: to be free, to be receptive, to have no goal.
- What I always hated and detested and cursed above all things was this contentment, this healthiness and comfort, this carefully preserved optimism of the middle classes, this fat and prosperous brood of mediocrity.
- One never reaches home, but wherever friendly paths intersect the whole world looks like home for a time.